My Great Grandmother had ten children of her own and raised my mother as well. A story in itself. Of the ten, there were two boys. Her youngest was Larry, and being the youngest he was a bit spoiled and consequently over confident. To compound the issue, he was huge for someone of his ethnic heritage and remarkably strong. Uncle Larry was young and wild when I first came along and he was a fanatic Kung Fu enthusiast. As a toddler, I would listen to him brag about his keen martial arts prowess, and on rare occasions he would actually perform some Kung Fu stunt. Usually at the dismay of another family member or unsuspecting bystander, as they were the unfortunate victim of a take down or joint lock. This undoubtedly fueled my initial interest in martial arts, especially Kung Fu.
Uncle Larry was, perhaps ironically, also a fanatic Christian. I intend no offense to anyone who considers themselves Christian in any capacity, but I cannot overemphasize the word "fanatic" in this statement. He would often impress on me the overwhelming authority of God. Usually in a scolding tone. From a childs perspective, I'd sincerely try to understand this riddle of Gods power, judgement, and jealousy. I remember a turning point in my innocent mind when I asked Uncle Larry the inevitable question "if God made me, you, and the whole world, ...Then who made God?" I'd never seen such fury in a grown mans face directed at a child, and for asking an innocent question at that. That very moment awoke in me the awareness of something greater than the knowledge and wisdom of our elders and preachers. That burning spiritual/religious question spurred me for all of my childhood and most of my adult life to find an answer, some meaning, a truth.
I spent hours on end, as early as 3 or 4 years old, pouring over my Great Grandfathers giant, illustrated Catholic Bible. Ever fascinated with the travels of this man named Jesus and marvelling at the miracles he performed. This was, for me, the beginning of knowing that we had a higher ability than most people believe. This was the seed that grew into a consuming need to know and master the reality of magic. Thanks Uncle Larry, even if you knew not what you had done.
Thursday, December 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment