Thursday, January 28, 2010

"I.I.H." Theory: The Principle of Air ~

The Element of Air calls to my mind the image of the Fool, being not yet in charge of his own fate nor in control of the Elements of Fire and Water, he is pushed by the hot expansion of Fire and drawn toward the cold void of Water. Hence the image of the Fool stepping off the precipice into "thin Air". Just an intuitive feeling. Air seems to be that space where Fire and Water don't quite meet but effect each other, causing motion through their influences. It is in fact the pressure of heats' expansion and the draw of colds' compression that causes the flow of air in nature thus producing the wind. So it's easy enough to see why the Hermeticists explain that air is born out of the interplay between Fire and Water. Bardon describes Air as a neutralizing medium, establishing equilibrium between Fire and Water. However, looking at nature it seems to me that it's more that the attempt at equilibrium is what produces air(wind), not so much that equilibrium is ever actually reached. Bardon points out that Air has assumed the quality of warmth from Fire and humidity from Water, making life possible( I need to meditate on this). And again he reminds us of the dual polarity of creative and destructive potential latent in this and all Elements. Lastly ,he warns us once again not to associate the Elements too closely to their literal counterparts. His description of this Element is, I'm sure, adequate enough, but to me seems a bit vague. I take it as an introductory account and trust that with deeper contemplation and more experience I'll come to a fuller understanding of the nature of Air and the other Elements as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment